Five places across England have been announced as participants of a new programme to recognise and support high quality placemaking.
The Future Place programme run by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH), Local Government Association (LGA) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
The five ‘Future Places’ selected as exemplars based on their overarching placemaking visions and innovative approaches, are:
- Bradford (City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council)
- Greater Exeter (Exeter City Council, East Devon District Council, Mid Devon District Council and Teignbridge District Council – supported by Devon County Council)
- Great Yarmouth (Great Yarmouth Borough Council)
- Gateshead (Gateshead Council)
- North Northamptonshire (Northamptonshire County Council, Corby Borough Council, East Northamptonshire Council, Kettering Borough Council and Borough Council of Wellingborough)
All five Future Places are determined to deliver meaningful change which will enhance people’s lives, improve community wellbeing and create sustainable environments. Each place is very different, but all work in collaboration with public, private or voluntary sector partners to develop and advance innovative placemaking strategies. They will now take part in a programme to develop visions for their areas, with training and expert advice from each of the Future Places project partners.